Monday, November 17, 2008

Psychiatric Evaluation




Talk about a difficult thing to do...interview a crazy person! It's definitely not like walking into the ER and interviewing someone with abdominal pain. The conversation goes more like this:

Doctor: "So you say that your stomach is upset?"

Patient: "Yes my stomach is very mad at me because God is putting poison in my milk. I like to drink milk but only when I know it comes from cows in Wisconsin. Do you like Wisconsin. I used to live in Germany and the Russians put spy ware into the fillings of my teeth. See....here is where I pulled out 3 teeth that the Russians were using to spy on me with."

Doctor: "So you're stomach doesn't hurt?"

Now that I've started my second week of Psych I have started to have some conversations with the patients on my unit....let's just say they are VERY interesting! This morning I had a man tell me he was Hippocrates.....uh...sure...ok....

I am working at Spring Grove hospital and it is the second oldest hospital in the US. I think it goes back to the 1700's. It is a sprawling 200 acres campus that is a true throwback to the old Psych hospitals. Lobotomy's were performed there and apparently some of the buildings are haunted. Fantastic. Like the alive crazies aren't enough...now I have to worry about dead ones?!
It is a pretty campus though and honestly a pretty good experience. But I still won't be searching out residencies in Psych....

No comments: